29 Aug 2015

Update on blogging. I am still here!

It's been a long time since I've last posted any new content on here. The truth is, I've got a few blog articles drafted, but I've just not had the time to post them properly. Since March, I've been very busy on two customer projects, one of which came to an end successfully at the end of May. I'm still in the middle of the second customer project where we are deploying the VMware vRealize Suite across the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions for a global customer. For the vRealize Operations part of this project, we are really pushing the product beyond it's officially supported limits in terms of objects monitored, however as we are working with VMware on this particular deployment, we have a custom support statement that will see this huge environment supported regardless of what the office limitations of the products may be (in terms of the number of monitored objects).

Anyway, during the course of the current project, we have encountered many stumbling blocks with the vRealize Operations and Hyperic products. Hyperic in particular has a rather problematic "defect" that I am surprised has not been picked up by anyone until now. It's in the way that the default Hyperic agent configuration is used on both Windows and Linux distributions which could cause major performance problems on monitored endpoints (up to a constant 100% CPU utilisation). However, working with VMware GSS, we have now been able to raise an official bug ticket for the issue.

I'm working on two particular posts regarding Hyperic. In the first post, I cover the bug that we have found and how to work around it, or rather preempt it. The second post is focused on how to replace Hyperic 5.8.4 SSL certificates. During this post I will generate SSL certificates with OpenSSL and format them in a Java keystore that is used by the Hyperic server, with the root and subordinate root certificate authority certificates included. I'll go through the process of replacing the self signed keystore with our own custom keystore as well as performing the necessary database queries and updates required to replace the certificates properly.

I'm hoping to get at least one of these posts completed before the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned.

Written by  0 comment
Tagged under
Last modified on Saturday, 29 August 2015 10:09
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
0 Characters
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Snapshots throughout his career that I followed on TV seems burned into my memory. Imola 94, Japan 95, the formatio… https://t.co/4nhYoskbzI
Follow Rynardt Spies on Twitter